Where to go for further help and advice
There are some excellent support organisations that exist to provide additional help – You can be assured that contact with any of the following is strictly confidential:
- Rural Stress Helpline: 0845 094 8286 The confidential listening service for rural people. Where appropriate, callers are put in contact with other organisations which offer sustained, practical and emotional support. They can help with problems with DEFRA and the Rural Payments Agency. www.ruralstresshelpline.co.uk
- RABI (The Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution):
01865 727888 Can provide financial support for farmers in times of crisis such as illness, bereavement or events beyond their control. www.rabi.org.uk
- Farm Crisis Network 0845 367 9990 Has a network of volunteers from the farming community and rural churches providing pastoral and practical support to help people find a positive way through their problems. www.farmcrisisnetwork.org.uk
- Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90 Provides help and emotional support at any time of the day or night. You do not have to give your name. www.samaritans.org
- The Maytree Centre: 020 7263 7070 Based in North London, a residential sanctuary for the suicidal. It takes guests for four days to help them through a crisis. It is totally confidential and you don't need a doctor's referral. www.maytree.org.uk
Links to other helpful websites
- Royal College of Psychiatrists – For information about mental health and treatments.
- Counsellors' professional organisations can help you find a qualified counsellor in your area: psychotherapy.org.uk or www.bacp.co.uk. Everything you say to a counsellor is confidential. They will make no judgements but help you find a way through your problems.
- www.itsgoodtotalk.org.uk - Gives a good interactive layman's guide to counselling.
- Overcoming Depression: a guide to recovery with a complete self help programme - Paul Gilbert
- Climbing out of depression - Sue Atkinson
- Taming the black dog: How to beat depression - a practical manual for sufferers, their relatives and colleagues - Patrick Ellverton
- Overcoming Anxiety, Stress and Panic - Dr Chris Williams
- Stop Thinking, Start Living: Discover Lifelong Happiness - Richard Carlson
YANA acts a signposting service,
encouraging those who might be affected by depression to seek appropriate help.
It does not replace advice from a health professional.
YANA recommends users of this website to seek a professional diagnosis.